Saturday, October 4, 2008

Books

I like books. I even enjoy reading them. The problem is that I have a hard time finishing them. I think I might have book ADD. 


Sometimes I wonder if I like the idea of having books more than reading books. I tend to buy a group of books, then they sit on my shelf and look pretty. 

I find that I have to be in the right mood to read, and my mood often determines what kind of book I want to read. Given that my moods change from time to time, its hard to stick with one book. When I'm feeling contemplative or reflective, I want to read something that makes me think. When I'm feeling bored, I want to read something that entertains me. When I'm feeling spiritual, I want to read about religion. When I'm feeling philosophical, well, I want to read philosophy. 

The last book I actually completed was Intimacy by Henri Nouwen. I enjoyed it. Most of it, anyway. It combines a lot of psychology with spirituality, both things I'm a big fan of. I also read and finished In the Name of Jesus by Nouwen in one day. I recently started a memoir called The Glass Castle, which was given to me over a year ago. Its entertaining so far, but I haven't gotten hooked on it. I think the last book I read that I was hooked on was Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry. GREAT book. Read it. 

These books I've started over the past few months, but haven't finished:

American Jesus by Stephen Prothero (Religion/Academic)
The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg (Memoir)
Running on Empty by Phil Anderson (Spirituality)
Generation Me by  Jean Twenge (Sociology/Academic)
The Trial by Franz Kafka (Fiction/Literature)
The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls (Memoir)

Books I bought recently but haven't opened:

The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind by Mark Noll (Religion/Academic)
UnChristian by David Kinnaman (Religion/Culture)

Books I want to buy and (eventually) read:

The Divine Conspiracy by Dallas Willard
More stuff by Henri Nouwen

1 comments:

Kathryn February 2, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

I read Jayber Crow in an environmental lit class and I liked it enough to not sell it back... so a lot... sweet blog.

  © Blogger template 'Isolation' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP